ABOUT TIM O'BRIEN
Tim O’Brien is an illustrator and portrait painter whose intricately detailed and imaginative illustrations have been published most notably in TIME Magazine as well as Der Spiegel, Rolling Stone, Newsweek, TV Guide, The Atlantic Monthly, Business Week, Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, PlanSponsor, National Geographic, Playboy, Penthouse, New York Magazine, The New York Times, Reader’s Digest, Avon Books, Dial, Harper Collins, Penguin, Times Books, Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, TOR, Viking, Warner, and many others. Tim has designed several US Postage Stamps.
Tim has received multiple awards and recognitions from the Society of Illustrators in New York and Los Angeles, Graphis, Print, Communication Arts Magazine, the Society of Publication Designers, American Illustration, and the Art Directors Club. Tim has over a dozen paintings in the collection of the National Gallery, Washington, DC., and is a winner of the prestigious Hamilton King Award from the Society of Illustrators.
*President and member of the Executive Committee of the Society of Illustrators, New York.
His numerous speaking engagements include The Norman Rockwell Museum, The Society of Illustrators, Syracuse University, School of Visual Arts, Pratt, Rhode Island School of Design, California College of the Arts, and the University of the Arts.
Tim is a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia and Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, and lectures frequently across the country.
Tim lives in Prospect Park South in Brooklyn New York with his wife, Creative Director at Scholastic, Elizabeth Parisi, and their wonderful son, Cassius.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & ACCOLADES
On April 26, 2016 O'Brien spoke at the United Nations in New York City at the invitation of The World Intellectual Property Organization, during which the artist's work were shown. He discussed commercial art and intellectual property rights in a digital world and how technology is having both advantageous and troubling consequesnces on both.
- Hamilton King Award, Society of Illustrators (2009)
- Honorary Doctorate Degree, 2013, Lyme Academy College of Fine Art
- Commencement speech at Paier College of Art, 1996 and 2002
- O'Briens Time magazine covers are in the collection of the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
- Chosen by Irish American Magazine as one of their 100 top Irish Americans, years 1999 and 2000
- Awards from Society of Illustrators in New York and Los Angeles · Graphis Inc. · Print Magazine · Communication Arts Magazine · the Society of Publication Designers · American Illustration · Art Director's Club
- Chairman of the Education Committee, Society of Illustrators, New York (1996–2006)
- Member of the Executive Committee, Society of Illustrators, New York
- Served on the Board of the Illustration Conference in 2003
- President of the Society of Illustrators, New York
- Chairman of 'Illustrators 49' at the Society of Illustrators
- Chairman of the Scholarship Committee at the Society of Illustrators
- Lyme Academy of Fine Arts, Portraits and Illustrations: A Retrospective, 2013
- Norman Rockwell Museum, Rockwell and Realism in an Abstract World, 2016
- Corpo Gallery