Somewhere along the way, I began to interview my subjects in addition to photographing them. And alongside their portraits, I'd include quotes and short stories from their lives.
Taken together, these portraits and captions became the subject of a vibrant blog. HONY now has over twenty million followers on social media, and provides a worldwide audience with daily glimpses into the lives of strangers on the streets of New York City. Over the past five years, it has also expanded to feature stories from over twenty different countries. The work is also featured in two bestselling books: Humans of New York and Humans of New York: Stories.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & ACCOLADES
- Humans of New York. New York: St. Martin's Press. October 15, 2013.
- Little Humans of New York. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. October 7, 2014.
- Humans of New York: Stories. New York: St. Martin's Press. October 13, 2015.
- 2013: People's Voice award, Best Use of Photography category, 2013 Webby Award for Humans of New York.
- 2013: Time magazine placed him in its list of "30 Under 30 World Changers".
- 2014: James Joyce Award from the Literary and Historical Society (L&H) of University College Dublin (UCD).