ABOUT BEC WINNEL
I’m a self taught artist based in the Kiewa Valley, Victoria, Australia.
I love creating detailed and delicate feminine portraits which are often accompanied by elements of nature and nostalgia.
I work with a variety of mixed medius including pencils, pastels, paint washes which can then be digitally edited and adjusted to included collaged elements.
I enjoy creating beautiful and detailed portraits of imaginary women in imaginary worlds that celebrate the feminine spirit. My 'girls' are often accompanied by elements of nature, fantasy and items from bygone eras.
My colour palette is mostly soft, subdued pastels, and my mediums include pencil, pastel, watercolour and acrylic. To further enhance the mystery, my girls are often fading into or out of the background, as if they are nearly there, speaking to you from a distant place.
I am represented by Thinkspace Gallery US, Just Another Agency AU and Illustration Ltd Worldwide, a member of PRISMA Artist Collective and an advocate with Element Eden.
Whilst I love creating my girls, I also enjoying experimenting in all creative forms including abstract painting, exploring colour, texture, pattern and various subject matters.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & ACCOLADES
Bec has a diploma in graphic design and art, which she studied in Melbourne. She’s topped that up with various other art courses. Whereas plenty of modern illustrators start off traditionally in their sketchbooks and finish their work digitally, Bec does it the other way around. She starts digitally and, using Photoshop and reference images she’ll build up a composition. The artwork is then completed using pens, pastels and watercolours with special attention paid to particular details – usually around the focal-point. Her style is feminine, soft, delicate, detailed, romantic and somewhat nostalgic.
- 2015 . Beautanica, Thinkspace Gallery, Culver City, US.
- 2013 . Earthly Beings, Thinkspace Gallery, Culver City, US.
- 2012 . Muliebrity, Just Another Project Space, Melbourne, AU.
- 2015 . LAX/DTW, Thinkspace Gallery curated show, Inner State Gallery, Detroit, US.
- 2015 . Prisma Collective Group Show, Spoke Art, San Francisco, US.
- 2014 . Quentin Vs Coen, Spoke Art, San Francisco, US.
- 2014 . Thinkspace Gallery's booth at Scope Miami, Art Basel, Miami Beach, US.
- 2014 . Fresh Licks / Look See, The Lock-Up, Newcastle, AU.
- 2014 . Wilderness, Auguste Clown Gallery, Melbourne, AU.
- 2014 . A Few Small Nips: A Tribute to Frida Kahlo, Distinction Gallery, Escondido, US.
- 2014 . Prisma Collective Group Show, WWA Gallery, Culver City, US.
- 2014 . Fresh, Thinkspace Gallery, Culver City, US.
- 2014 . LAX/SFO, Thinkspace Gallery curated show at Hashimoto Contemporary, San Francisco, US.
- 2014 . On Beauty, Modern Eden Gallery, San Francisco, US.
- 2014 . An Even Eleven Anniversary Show, Shooting Gallery, San Francisco, US.
- 2014 . LAX/TXL, Thinkspace curated show as part of Project M4 with Urbannation, Berlin, DE.
- 2014 . The Convergence, Copro Gallery, Santa Monica, US.
- 2014 . Littletopia with Thinkspace Gallery, LA Art Show, Culver City, US.
- 2014 . Tarot Under Oath, Last Rites Gallery, New York, US.
- 2013 . Thinkspace Gallery's booth at Scope Miami, Art Basel, Miami Beach, US.
- 2013 . Young Adult, Gallery 1988, Los Angeles, US.
- 2013 . Bad Dads, Spoke Art Gallery, San Francisco, US.
- 2013 . King Brown Launch, The Tate Gallery, Sydney, AU.
- 2012 . Animal in Me – Prisma Artist Collective, Subtext Gallery, San Diego, US.
- 2012 . Allstars, Espionage Gallery, Adelaide, AU.
- 2012 . Milk – Prisma Artist Collective, Fine Grime Gallery, Banes, UK.
- 2012 . The Moleskine Project 2, Spoke Art, San Francisco, US.
- 2012 . Bad Dads, Spoke Art, San Francisco, US.
- 2012 . Works on Paper, Just Another Project Space, Melbourne, AU.
- 2012 . Summer Group Show, Spoke Art, San Francisco, US.
- 2012 . Versus, Maitland Regional Art Gallery, Maitland, AU.
- 2012 . I Want To Be First, Kat Von D’s Wonderland Gallery, West Hollywood, US.
- 2011 . Board, NGV Studio, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . Bad Dads, Spoke Art, San Francisco, US.
- 2011 . etcc, 1000 Pound Bend, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . JAA Group Show, 1000 Pound Bend, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . Twitching, 1000 Pound Bend, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . Bec Winnel/Cherri Wood/Jonas Lofgren, Rivet, Columbus, US.
- 2011 . Look See, Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, AU.
- 2011 . Eclectica, The National Grid Gallery, Sydney, AU.
- 2011 . Drawn From Fashion, The Finders Keepers Markets, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . Up The Bend, Rancho Notorious, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . Uchiwa Fan, Espionage Gallery, Adelaide, AU.
- 2011 . Get Trucked by Just Another Agency, No Vacancy Gallery, Melbourne, AU.
- 2011 . Fraulines, Gallery on Weymouth, Adelaide, AU.
- 2010 . Just Another Agency Group Show, Thousand Pound Bend, Melbourne, AU.
- 2010 . National Grid Gallery's booth at Art Sydney, Sydney AU.
- 2010 . Paper Tales, Nine Lives, Brisbane, AU.
- 2010 . Nursery Rhymes, Urban Cow Studio Gallery, Adelaide, AU.
- 2009 . The Forty Thieves 2, Gorker Gallery, Melbourne, AU.
AWARDS / ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2014 . Listed, Australian Top 10 Artists, Artistaday.com.
- 2012 . Winner, Australian Art Collector Page Feature through Art Fido, AU.
- 2011 . Winner, Holden Barina Spark, Holden Designer Spark competition, AU.
- 2010 . Finalist, Quantm DesktopCreateAwards, Illustration & Type, AU.
- 2008 . Winner, General Pants Co ‘The Bubble’, Illustration category, AU.
- 2012 – Present . PRISMA Artist Collective.
- 2011 – Present . Element Eden Advocate, AU.
- 2013 . Speaker, Analogue Digital, Brisbane, AU.
- 2013 . Masterclass, Southbank Institute of Technology, Brisbane, AU.
- 2013 . Masterclass, Griffith University, Gold Coast, AU.
- 2013 . Masterclass, University of Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast, AU.
- 2012 . Speaker, Semi Permanent, Brisbane, AU.2012, Speaker, Semi Permanent, Auckland, NZ.
- 2012 . Speaker, Semi Permanent, Sydney, AU.
- 2012 . Presentation and Q&A, CATC Design School, Gold Coast, AU.
- 2012 . Eyed drawing tutorial, Google+ Live Stream Hang Out.
- 2007 . Guest artist opening speech, Exit 09 Tafe Graduating Exhibition for creative, Wangaratta Art Gallery, AU.
- 2014 . Girl Glue Zine #1 . Curvy Book 11
- 2013 . Weekend Edition, Brisbane . Colour Pencil Magazine . Beautiful Bizarre Magazine #3 . Juxtapoz Magazine (website)
- 2012 . Nothing to Nobody Issue 10 . Empty Magazine
- 2011 . Leivos . Semipermanent Book . Shillington Design Blog . Paper Runway Magazine . Juxtapoz Magazine (website) . Looks Like Good Design . Yen Magazine #49 . Grae Magazine . Curvy Book 7
- 2010 . Curvy Book 7 . Fashion Journal #98 and #100 . Artist a Day . Lost at E Minor . Melbourne Fashion Directory . N.E.E.T . The Age . Cleo Magazine AU and South Africa . We Are The Image Makers #23 .
- 2009 . Wooden Toy Chicas Edition . RUSSH Magazine . The Grafik Museum . MX . Semipermanent Book . Curvy Book 6 . Peppermint Magazine
- 2008 . Blanket Magazine #13 . Yen Magazine . Curvy Book 5 . Cleo Magazine . Semipermanent Book . Wooden Toy Quarterly Online . Oh Really Zine . Sunday Arts Television Program, ABC . The Age . Decor8 Website 2007 . VRaw Website
- Element Eden
- Every Day With Rachel Ray
- Cosmopolitan Magazine
- Cleo Magazine
- Iben Joj
- The Hub Magazine
- Best Health
- Better Health
- Este Lauder